My Baby Tracker

Thursday, March 28, 2013

OB visit part 2

I had OB visit part 2 yesterday.  I just visited with my actual doctor and she answered all of my remaining questions and we talked about 1st trimester screening which we'll get done on May 3rd (technically I'll be out of the 1st trimester by then but the screen can be done anytime b/n 11 & 14 weeks).  It just involves a detailed ultrasound and blood test to check for the likelihood of defects with the fetus.  She also did a pap and exam on me to check cervix and size of uterus.  Cervix was closed and uterus size was on track.  We discussed my spotting that I had on Sunday (it picked up after my ultrasound on Monday too) and she didn't see anything to be worried about.  There wasn't anything actively bleeding.  But still she recommended that I stay on pelvic rest (no sex or sticking other foreign items - other than ultrasound probes - up there, lol) until the spotting ceases.  So she did do a pap - not sure why since my last test was in July and she did not mention anything about the likelihood of more bleeding or anything.  So I finished up with the nurse, got my next appointments scheduled (another u/s on the 10th, OB visit on the 24th) and I was on my way. 

Well, a couple hours later I go to the bathroom and what do I see?  Bright RED blood!!  UGGGHHHH!!  Naturally, I freaked out!  The common sense part of me totally shut off and I was convinced it was over.  I kept trying to tell myself though that it was too much of a coincidence that I got this bleeding just hours after a pap where they SCRAPE your cervix for pete's sake!  I just couldn't listen to reason though.  When you are pregnant and you see bright red blood coming from your vagina, you think the worst.  Bright red blood is associated with a period - so you see it and the memories of failed cycles, negative pregnancy tests month after month come flooding back and you think - "nooooo not again!!".  So my poor hubby got my wrath.  I was so pissed and scared!  He calmly asks me what the doctor did exactly at my visit - I told him.  And he says that perhaps I should call the after-hours line to talk to someone because that's what they told us that I should do during situations like this.  In a stubborn, all-knowing, huff I said "fine I'll call, but they will just tell me to go to the ER!"  So I call and get the answering service.  I left a message for the doctor on call and was told that they would call me back as soon as possible.  Meanwhile I get on google.  Similar to Sunday, I was relieved to find tons of experiences from women who had the same bleeding right after a pap while pregnant.  Still wanted to get the story from my actual doctor though and not a bunch of strangers.  Of course I saw posts that talked about how women thought that a pap caused them to miscarry too.  I didn't read those!!  Besides - the notion doesn't even make sense.  They are scraping the outside of the cervix - they don't open it up and scrape inside the uterus!  Anyway, finally 2 hours later, a tired doctor calls (not my OB, but one in her practice).  She apologizes for taking so long to call, says there was an emergency operation or something.  I tell her what I'm experiencing and she says right away "Totally normal, honey.  Cervix is very sensitive, is filled with blood, pregnant women have more blood volume as well.  I tell all my pregnant patients to expect bleeding after a pap."  Ugh, thank God!!  She says that I can come in for a quick u/s in a couple days if things don't die down or if I feel like something is not right but I should expect to spot for at least a couple days.  So I'm pretty annoyed that my OB didn't tell me the same thing while she was doing the pap.  Especially after telling her how freaked out I was about the spotting!  Oh well.  Nothing I can do really but switch doctors but this doesn't really seem like a situation that warrants that.  I really like her otherwise, she has a very calm aura about her which is what I think I need. 

So I've been spotting brown all day today.  That's what I was told to expect.  There is no more red to be seen so I'll take it!  Hopefully it will go away in a couple days and I can stop wearing these pantiliners.

No comments:

Post a Comment