My Baby Tracker

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Recap of this past week

Ok, so I have neglected this blog in the past week.  I have already gone thru transfer so this post will focus on last stim days, triggering, and ER.  Next post will be about ET.

So I went in for monitoring last Monday.  I had good growth but didn't seem to be there yet.  My monster cyst on my left ovary was a whopping 5cm.  HUGE!  On the ultrasound image, that was all that could be seen in some views.  Yet, my left side was still producing more follies than my right!  Anyway, after that appointment I was concerned that I'd have to order more follistim.  As I said in my previous post, I was already at my $5k max for meds so everything beyond that point was out of pocket.  By 4pm I still hadn't received instructions so I called my doctor cuz I wanted to be sure I would be able to have enough time to get my med order in to the pharmacy.  Instead of ordering more meds though the nurse told me that doc wanted me to trigger that evening!  I was going to trigger with the full 10,000 units of HCG.  No lupron.  So that meant my E2 level was fine and no risk of OHSS.  Luckily I didn't have to do an intramuscular shot of HCG either.  My clinic just does it subcutaneous.  That shot still HURT though!  Anyway, my nurse told me that based on my follicle sizes we could expect to get 2-8 eggs.  Only 2-8???  Ugh.  So I was sort of bummed about that.  Orders were orders though.

My instructions were to go home immediately and administer my last shot of follistim.  Then at 8:30 CST, inject the HCG.  So I scurried home, took my last stim shot, and prepared my HCG shot.  HCG is actually in powder form that is activated when sterile water is added.  The medication expires quickly so you have to do this the day of trigger shot - the pharmacy cannot do it for you.  Its relatively simple though.  You can also draw up the HCG beforehand and have the syringe ready to go in the fridge so you aren't fumbling around with mixing etc when you need to take the trigger.  The shot needs to be taken at the precise moment that the doctor specifies.  If you don't, you could ovulate early or late and loose your precious eggies.  So after my last stim shot, I prepared and drew up the HCG.  Then at 9:30 EST (had to factor the time zone difference) I took my shot.  Like I said, that thing hurt.  It burned and left a welt that lasted for days.  In fact, 8 days later I think I still have it.  Otherwise, shot went well.

Tuesday I didn't have to do any shots.  We left for Chicago that afternoon.  Our ER was Wednesday at 7am.  My dad watched our son while we were up there.  My son was good and he had a blast with "Opa":)  Everything went very well during the procedure too.  My hubby submitted his sample, they got my eggs, and I was sore but didn't feel too terrible the rest of the day.  Hubby got some nice footage of me when I was waking up from anesthesia:(  I was just out of it.  LOL.  Didn't say anything too embarrassing - just kept saying "I'm confused..."  After the procedure, the nurse said the doc would come in to discuss the results and then we could leave.  Seriously 1 hour later the doc comes in.  Grrrr.  I got over it quickly though when he said that we got 13 eggs!  13??  The nurse said to expect 2-8.  Lol!  The doc said the eggs looked good too and the embryologists would perform ICSI using my hubbies sperm later that day.  We would receive official maturity and fertilization results the next day.  They would decide if we would do a 3 day or 5 day transfer based on those results.  We were thrilled with that number of eggs.  That was the same number of eggs that we had last time.  So far so good!

After the procedure, my hubby and I went back to my parents house and I rested the rest of the day.  The next day we went home.  During the drive home I got our results.  I was minutes away from calling them cuz it was nearly 4pm CST and that is when they close.  So I was starting to get anxious.  Anyway, the embryologist called and told us that all 13 eggs were mature and 10 fertilized normally!!  WHOOHOOO!!!  Last time, only 8 of the eggs were mature.  All 8 fertilized normally, but still - this time we have 2 more than last time.  I was excited with this news!  They also said that they were going to definitively schedule us for a day 5 transfer.  Unfortunately that meant that they were not going to review our embies on day 3.  They said the less they take them out to look at them, the better.  Embies don't like the change in environment.  So that was that!  We were to wait for a call on Sunday when they would call to schedule the appointment for Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment