My Baby Tracker

Monday, October 1, 2012

Our Background

Thanks for visiting! We've been dealing with infertility since February 2011 but this day is the official start of our IVF journey. 

My husband and I will be doing our first cycle Oct/Nov 2012. I am starting Lupron Oct 12th and continuing until my period arrives. I will not be on birth control pills so exact dates are unknown at this point but I will probably will start stiming the week of the 22nd. Had 'kickoff' meeting this morning to go over Lupron injections. Was expecting the needle to be much bigger - but it's just a little needle - so I'm feeling more excited than nervous at this point! It's been a long road of waiting and waiting and waiting.

A bit of background - my husband and I married April 2010 and immediately began trying to conceive (TTC). By November I 'knew' that something was wrong and we got checked out. I did bloodwork, hubby got a semen analysis. I came back with out of whack hormones and a blocked tube (FSH level was okay though). Hubby came back with sperm quality issues. We were referred to a reproductive endocrinologist for me and a urologist for my husband who retested and found similar numbers - but no hormone or genetic issues for him, which was good but basically meant that there was nothing that could be done to improve his numbers other than improved diet and better lifestyle. I was put on clomid but did not respond well at all. With my hormone issues and blocked tube, we were told I would need injectible drugs in order to ovulate well enough to conceive. But an IUI cycle would be pointless due my blocked tube and husband's morph number. Plus the cost of injectible medications that I would need in order to go thru an IUI cycle would be very expensive. IVF would cost the same with our insurance (because the drugs are covered differently) and would give us a bigger bang-for-our-buck. So we started to make the preparations to go thru our first cycle June 2011, but were just not ready emotionally. The stress of the infertility diagnosis was still weighing us down and we needed to take a break and refocus.
So a year later and here we are! Finally felt that we were ready this summer so met with the doc to get started. Spent Sept getting retested - doc has given us the green light. Were pleasantly surprised by hubby's new numbers - count is normal now. Morph is still bad though - hence the IVF.

I am going to be doing acupuncture in conjunction with IVF cycle - have done a couple sessions already and it is just so relaxing. It is pricey but luckily my insurance will pick up 70% of the cost and flexible spending will pick up the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment