My Baby Tracker

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

34 week OB check

Not much new to report.  Just had my 34 week OB check today with my regular OB doc.  All is looking great!  I gained a laughable 6 lbs in the past week - there has got to be some mistake with that number because at home yesterday I was actually 1 lb. less than what I weighed at my u/s last Monday.  My OB didn't seem too concerned - just raised her eyebrows and said with a smile, "Welllll we'll just keep an eye on that..."  She went over the results of the u/s and said everything looked great.  We started talking about baby's size and she confirmed that baby's size is probably more to do with genetics since my gestational diabetes result was nowhere near the threshold.  So we are not going to redo that test.  She did say that we will probably do another u/s at 38 weeks to check on baby's size.  If baby is still very large, we will discuss the possibility of a c-section.  She said after babies get to be over 9 lbs, they have a very hard time fitting thru the birth canal - especially since I'm pint sized, the likelihood of my body being able to birth a baby of that size naturally is very low.  We'll see though.  I'm sort of bummed about the high possibility of a c-section - was all gung-ho about a vaginal birth.  My recovery period at home and in the hospital will be longer if I need a c-section.  But at least my hooha won't be stretched to the max and torn to bits!  Plus baby won't have to go thru that stress.  She didn't say anything about about a planned c-section though - just that if that's the road that we think we're going down, she would let me approach labor naturally as long as I wasn't way past my due date.  I asked about the possibility of having to do fetal nonstress tests (NSTs) since baby might run out of room and not grow as well and therefore may need to induce.  My OB said that she doesn't expect that I'll need to do those tests since I don't have the risk factors as follows:
  • diabetes that's treated with medication, high blood pressure, or some other medical condition that could affect your pregnancy.
  • gestational hypertension.
  • baby appears to be small or not growing properly.
  • baby is less active than normal.
  • too much or too little amniotic fluid.
  • a procedure was done such as an external cephalic version (to turn a breech baby) or third trimester amniocentesis (to determine whether your baby's lungs are mature enough for birth or to rule out a uterine infection). Afterward, your practitioner will order a nonstress test to make sure that your baby's doing well.
  • past your due date and your practitioner wants to see how your baby is holding up during his extended stay in the womb.
  • previously lost a baby in the second half of pregnancy, for an unknown reason or because of a problem that might happen again in this pregnancy. In this case, nonstress testing may start as early as 28 weeks.
  • you have a medical problem that may jeopardize your baby's health.
  • baby has been diagnosed with an abnormality or birth defect and needs to be monitored.
She might have me do NSTs later if baby should start moving less - but since I have adequate amounts of amniotic fluid & baby is head down, she is expecting that baby will have enough room to move right up to delivery.  We'll see though!  Next OB check will be in 2 weeks.  After that it will be weekly visits and the cervix checks for effacement & dilation (thinning & opening of the cervix) will start soon after!

No comments:

Post a Comment